The Mitchell County Board of Elections duty is to conduct fair, honest and impartial elections so that all citizens have the chance to exercise their right to vote. We work for the Public and we do the Public’s business. We provide an open, honest, and non-partisan election process. We maintain an accurate data base and pride ourselves in excellent customer service. We provide timely, accurate, and legally correct information. The Board of Elections is responsible for conducting all elections including federal, state, and county as well as municipal and special referenda.
- We maintain and oversee all voter registration records for Mitchell County.
- Ensure proper geo-coding for all citizens.
- Contract for and maintain all polling places.
- Educate the public and the media about election law according to North Carolina General Statutes.
- Receive, audit, and maintain campaign finance reports.
- Maintain all election supplies and equipment.
- Conduct candidate filing.
- Ensure that ballots are designed and printed properly.
- Design and maintain open, honest, and accurate vote counting and reporting systems.
The Mitchell County Board of Elections meets the last Thursday of each month at 4 pm. More frequent meetings are scheduled during election time. Each meeting is posted on the information board in the foyer of the Mitchell County Courthouse. All meetings are open to the public.
All files and information maintained by the Board of Elections (with the exception of Birth dates and bank account information in regards to campaign finance) are public record. You can request information via email, fax, telephone or written request by mail.
The Board of Elections is located at 11 North Mitchell Avenue, Room 108 in Bakersville, NC 28705 [map].