Tax Collector

Jessie Presnell,
Tax Collector

Photo of Jessie Presnell61 Crimson Laurel Circle
Bakersville, NC 28705
Telephone: 828.537.1627
Fax: 828.688.9149


Department Overview

The Mission of the Mitchell County Tax Department is to maximize the collection of taxes efficiently in Mitchell County while treating our citizens with respect and integrity. We will treat each taxpayer fairly and in a professional manner.

The Tax Collector’s Office performs the following duties:

  • Collection of all real and personal property tax including fire tax for seven (7) fire districts.

Important Things to Remember

  • January 1st – Date of Assessment
  • January 5th – Last day to pay without interest
  • January 6th – Property taxes become delinquent and interest begins Interest begins January at a rate of 2% the first month and an additional 3/4 of 1% each month thereafter
  • Month of February – Delinquent notices are mailed
  • March – Delinquent taxes are advertised at least one time in one or more newspapers having general circulation in the taxing unit as required by North Carolina General Statutes.
  • July – Tax bills for current year processed
  • Month of August – The current year tax bills are mailed to the “Owner of Record” as of January 1″. Refer to your attorney’s closing papers to ensure your obligation of taxes have been satisfied.
  • September 1st – Taxes become due and payable

If any of these due dates fall on a weekend, they will transfer to the following business day.

Payment of Taxes

Payment is received in the Tax Office by cash, check, or debit/credit cards. Monthly installments can also be paid on current year taxes and on delinquent taxes with a signed payment agreement.

Pay Your Taxes Online

Mitchell County residents can pay their property taxes by debit/credit card or by electronic check through our online tax portal.

PLEASE NOTE: a convenience fee wil be charged by a third-party vendor who is providing the payment service.

To access the new online system, visit

Motor Vehicle Taxes
(Tag and Tax Together)

Many questions have arisen following the implementation of the Tag and Tax Together system in North Carolina. For additional information, visit the North Carolina DMV website.

If you have further questions or need clarification on any issue, please contact us at 828.537.1627.

Our Location

The Tax Collector is located at 61 Crimson Laurel Circle in Bakersville, NC 28705.


8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday


Jessie Presnell
Tax Collector
extension 1627

Sandra Burleson
Deputy Tax Collector
extension 1626