Part-Time Director, Mitchell County Tourism Authority
The Mitchell County Tourism Development Authority (TDA) is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to fill the role of Part-time Director. The Director will be responsible for leading and implementing initiatives to promote tourism, enhance visitor experiences, and drive economic growth in Mitchell County, North Carolina. This is a part-time position with flexible hours and full time potential for the right candidate. The part-time director will report to the TDA Board of Directors. Pay will depend on qualifications and experience with a starting range between $20.30 and $25.48 per hour.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Planning: : Collaborate with the TDA Board of Directors to develop and implement a strategic plan for tourism development in Mitchell County, aligning with the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Marketing and Promotion: Develop and execute marketing campaigns, both traditional and digital, to attract visitors to Mitchell County. Coordinate advertising, social media, website management, and public relations efforts to effectively promote the county’s tourism assets.
- Partnerships and Stakeholder Engagement: Build and maintain strong relationships with local businesses, community organizations, government entities, and other stakeholders to foster collaboration and leverage resources for tourism development initiatives.
- Visitor Services: Enhance the visitor experience by providing information, resources, and assistance to tourists. Develop and maintain visitor information packets, brochures, maps, and other relevant materials.
- Events and Programming: Plan and coordinate special events, festivals, and tourism-related programs that showcase Mitchell County’s cultural heritage, natural attractions, and unique offerings.
- Research and Data Analysis: Conduct market research, collect and analyze data on visitor trends, and make data-driven recommendations to improve tourism strategies and initiatives.
- TDA Management: Prepare and schedule TDA board meetings, build meeting agendas and maintain proper records in a timely fashion. Work with Mitchell County Finance Director to monitor and manage TDA budget.
- Reporting and Compliance: Prepare and submit required reports to state and local agencies as mandated by tourism regulations and grant funding requirements.
- Professional Development: Stay informed about industry trends, best practices, and innovations in tourism marketing and development. Attend workshops, conferences, and training sessions to enhance professional knowledge and skills.
Knowledge, Skills, and Responsibilities
- Proven experience in tourism development, marketing, or related field, preferably in a leadership or management role.
- Strong understanding of the tourism industry, including marketing strategies, visitor services, and economic impact analysis.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to effectively engage with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain partnerships, collaborate with multiple stakeholders, and work in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in digital marketing tools, social media platforms, website management, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in grant writing, fundraising, and budget management is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Mitchell County and its tourism assets is a plus.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Prefer Bachelor’s degree in tourism, marketing, business administration, or a related field (relevant experience will be considered in lieu of a degree).
- This is a non-exempt part-time position with no benefits.
- This part-time position should not exceed 28 hours per week and will likely average 24 hours per week.
- Pay will depend on experience with the starting rate between $20.38 – $25.48 per hour.
- The position will be located in the Mitchell County Administrative Building. This is not a work from home job.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit a completed Mitchell County Employment Application (download here, it is an Adobe PDF document, open with the free Adobe Reader software) and resume. Submit materials to Glenda Shuffler, Human Resources Director, at Human.Resources@mitchellcountync.gov or mail to 26 Crimson Laurel Circle, Bakersville, North Carolina 28705 by September 21st, 2023.
Note: This job description is intended to outline the general nature and level of work performed by individuals in this role. It is not exhaustive and may be subject to change or modification as needed to meet the evolving needs of the Mitchell County Tourism Development Authority.
Mitchell County is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability or genetic information in employment or in the provision of services.